Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pamper Night... & Toes Give Me A New Insight

HP Women have been gearing up for this night for months...hours of planning and organizing, all to provide "services" that are not a part of the regular routine of most women. Fabulous food, manicures, pedicures, massages, facials, the atmosphere was that of a high end spa. Now...I'm not a very primpy person...I don't spend too much time on my makeup, hair, or clothes. I'm most comfortable when I'm in a pair of old, comfy jeans and a t-shirt.
My friend, Bert, encouraged me to come to Pamper Night. I told her that I really didn't get into all that...but I would love to come help out. So I arrived last night and was greeted by wonderful women who wanted to show me the way to the services that were provided. I quickly told them that I was here to help out, to work wherever they needed me. They led me to a person who was "in charge" and she said that they needed someone in the "pedicure" area to remove the toenail polish from the feet of ladies who were waiting to get a pedicure. Man...was God checking my heart! Here I was desiring servanthood...and He places me at the crusty feet of women who had come expecting pampering...OK, now was the time for me to place the towel on my arm; or better yet, a nail polish remover soaked cotton ball in my hand and get to work. In a day of "me-first mentality" it is beneficial for us to be called back to a heart of service to others.
One of the funny things about this job was the look on some of the ladies faces when I told them to sit down and let me remove the old polish. They were shocked..."you're going to touch my feet? Are you sure you want to do this? Really...I can do it myself." I had a time convincing some of them that this was part of the "pampering!" Just sit back, enjoy your chocolate covered snacks, and let me prep you for your pedicure!
But the highlight of my night was when this elderly lady sat down with her plate of scrumptious goodies, looking a bit like a "doe in the headlights." I knelt down at her feet, introduced myself, and ask her to remove her sandals do I could take off her old polish. She immediately looked embarassed, and starting apologizing for her feet. I tried to get her to relax...and allow me to do this, and then she started telling me "her story." It was fabulous...she was 75 years old, had never before in her life had a pedicure, and her feet were calloused and cracked because of years of working barefoot in a cotton field. She was one of 13 children who's father was a plantation foreman and everybody worked from dawn to dusk in the fields...even the children. She was so excited about the night, she said that she felt like a queen, something that she had never experienced! What an incredible time for me...for HPC...I can't quit thinking about her! I believe that, through service, God wants us to make an impression on our community, a mark on the lives of His people, He wants us to leave His fingerprints everywhere we go.
I had an awesome time last night...and from the toenails of many women, God gave me some new insight into the heart of His Son...who came to earth as a servant!
Have a blessed day -
Love,
Momma Moose

1 comment:

Barton Pickens said...

Hey Mom I miss you guys and hope everything is going good tell papa I got his call and tryed to call back but it wouldent go through Love you guys and I'll talk to you soon